Classification: Employee, Full Time
Location: Cypress, CA
The Laboratory Manager is responsible for the direction of all operations of the Clinical Laboratory including planning and organizing staffing needs, providing leadership and maintaining high standards of quality while promoting good morale and departmental efficiency. This position requires a highly motivated, self-disciplined, pro-active individual who can work both independently and part of the team to meet organizational goals.
** Responsibilities may include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Plans goals and allocates resources to achieve them; monitors progress toward objectives and adjusts plans as necessary to reach them; allocates and schedules resources to assure their availability according to priority; provides coverage for staff as needed in an effort to achieve objectives.
- Participates in the recruitment, interviewing and selection of qualified laboratory personnel.
- Develops staff through initial and continual training as well as direct performance feedback and job coaching; conducts performance evaluations; corrects staff promptly when their performance fails to meet expected performance levels; documents actions and maintains accurate employee files.
- Provides leadership, support and direction and ensures compliance with all SOPs.
- Manages the successful transition of newly arriving, transferred and departing lab personnel.
- Oversees and organizes technical and administrative aspect of the daily operations of the laboratory.
- Participates in the planning, designing, development, and implementation of initiatives to enhance the performance and workflow of laboratory systems with the emphasis on employee and patient safety and excellence in quality delivery of laboratory services to all customers.
- Develops and implements new SOPs and performs SOP revisions while adhering to formal document control procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Remains cognizant of all accreditation agencies and laboratory safety standards and maintains appropriate manuals and documentation supporting said standards.
- Ensures and enforces organizational policies and procedures required in maintaining regulatory compliance (i.e. HIPAA, CAP, FDA, DOH, OSHA, etc.).
- Effectively interacts with laboratory Administration and all departments in the daily operation of the Clinical Laboratory Department.
- Masters or bachelors degree in the appropriate scientific discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of managerial experience in a medical reference laboratory.
- Must be knowledgeable with applicable regulatory compliance requirements (i.e. HIPAA, CAP, FDA, DOH, OSHA, etc).
- Must be able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to adapt to changing work needs and to demonstrate effective customer service to internal and external customers.
- Must be adept at serving as a liaison between administrative and scientific parties.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, organized and patient.
- Excellent skills in leadership, customer service, and management.
- Experience with computer programs such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail and a laboratory information system application.